Can I File Form I-751 If I am Separated from My Spouse? Atlanta Green

If you married a U.S. citizen and were granted a green card within two years of your marriage date, then you will be a conditional permanent resident of the United States for two years. In order to remove the conditions of your residency, you will have to file a Form I-751[1], Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence 90 days prior to the expiration of the two years of conditional residence. If your Form I-751 petition is successful, then your legal residency in the United States will be extended for 10 years.

When you file Form I-751, you must specify whether you are “married” or “divorced” – but there is no option for “separated.” For couples who are taking a break, filing Form I-751 can be confusing, and a small mistake could compromise your ability to remain in the United States.

This is where an immigration attorney can help. Charles Kuck is a green card lawyer in Atlanta who will evaluate your situation and explain the steps you should take when trying to remove the conditions of your residency in the United States. Call 404-816-8611 to schedule a consultation at Kuck Immigration Partners[2].

My Divorce Is Pending and I Do Not Live with My Spouse. Should I File Form I-751 as If I am Married?

No. If your divorce is pending and you are not living with your spouse, it is fraudulent to file Form I-751 as if you are married and share the same address with your spouse.

In some cases, a pending divorce will not be finalized until the two-year Form I-551 deadline expires. This is common because divorce proceedings in some states take at least six months.

In this situation, many people think it is a good  idea to file Form I-751 late – after your divorce proceedings are complete, but it is not.  While USCIS officers may excuse the late filing if you provide a reasonable explanation for why you did not file the petition on time, there is no guarantee that will happen. Generally, the best practice is to file the form as married, but indicate in an attachment that you are separate and pursing divorce.

1 2 3